"Providing Hometown Reliability"
While providing reliable and courteous service to our customers, we strive to protect the public and environment utilizing quality operational and maintenance techniques in facilities designed for the conveyance and treatment of domestic and industrial waste.
The original ordinance establishing a sewer system was dated September 11, 1886. This served the City until 1927 when a study determined that about 29 percent of the total population was without sewers. This study warned of the constant menace of disease under these conditions. The response was to construct lateral sewers leading to two pumping stations with force and gravity mains, complete with outfall sewers and disposal plant. These pumping stations were operated by the City until 1970-71 when a new plant was built on Watermill Road. The same plant, with several expansions, is still used today.